July 13, 2007


I've wanted to be able to speak Spanish since I moved to Arizona 29 years ago. Raising a family and working full time pushed that down on the priority list. My husband learned Spanish as a Peace Corps volunteer in 1970 and has continued to use it daily, and both our sons speak Spanish after completing minors in it at the University of Arizona and spending time in Central and South America. We have a lot of friends and business acquaintances who are bilingual and it felt like I was the only one who didn't speak Spanish. In August 2005 I was able to start taking Spanish classes at the community college and after four semesters I felt confident enough to participate in a Spanish immersion program. So, it was “Off to Guatemala and Antigua”. I still have a long way to go, but it's been a great experience.

Cobblestone streets of Antigua



Kathleen at a sidewalk market in Santiago Sacatepéquez


Guatemala was a tremendous place to visit and to work on improving my Spanish skills. I went to Antigua, less than an hour’s drive from the capital, from June 9-30, and enjoyed every minute of the beautiful historic sites and environment. There are about 70 language schools, mostly small, in Antigua, and so there are students of all ages in the city. Residents and shop owners will respond in Spanish, even though those who deal with tourists speak some English. My class, and most students do this, was one-on-one for 25 hours a week with a teacher who is not university educated but has training and experience. I attended Probigua, a non-profit school which uses all proceeds above its costs to fund and expand libraries in rural schools and communities. I lived with a family of Antigua residents and was very comfortable. We spoke Spanish all the time although my Spanish is similar to that of a three-year-old. I had time for sightseeing and traveled to Lake Atitlán about two hours north with four women from Indianapolis and one from Seattle who I met at school. Jude Hawkes and Frank Bonaccorso replied to an email from me that was posted to this site a few months ago with encouragement and a lot of helpful advice. I recommend that anyone traveling outside of the U.S. buy one or more guidebooks a few months in advance. For Guatemala, there is an on-line forum called Thorn Tree hosted by the Lonely Planet guidebook company that has information and where questions are answered. I liked the trip so much I want to return next year, and June is a good time to escape from the heat of Southern Arizona.

Kathleen and friend at Mixco Viejo ruins



Volcano Agua south of Antigua

(Ed. Note: All photos courtesy of Kathleen Bell Vandervoet)

Kathleen Bell Vandervoet
Tubac, Arizona

No comments: