September 26, 2006


Fr. Paul Nourie writes from Chula Vista, CA

John Christenson, Alemany's "Fr. Chris," has died

9/25/2006

I just wanted to pass on to you the message that (Fr.) John Christenson died this past week.

His services will be held on Saturday September 30th, at 11 a.m. at the Cemetery Mortuary of Mission Hills cemetery, located at the corner of Rinaldi and Sepulveda. He is cremated for the services, and I believe he will be interred after the services.

The family has asked me to officiate at the services and I have been able to find myself able to go up to do so.

I am sure that all know that John had left the priesthood many years ago. I had kept some contact with him over the years, of course, at a moment like this, I would say, not as much as I would have wanted, but I guess we all do what we can.

I am sure that his family would appreciate having friends or appreciative fellow journeyers present.

Caringly,

Fr. Paul Nourie, O.M.I.

paulyvonnourie,omi

~~~~~~~

9/26/2006

Bob Orlando, AHS-66, writes:

So very sorry to hear about Fr Christenson.

I'll never forget the day, November 22, 1963; I was in his history class when the news about Kennedy was announced. We all went to the gym for prayers and Mass, remember?

I've thought about him often, because of how that day impacted our lives and how he solemnly handled the situation and how he reassured us that we would be okay.

Thanks,

Bob O.

~~~~~~~

9/27/2006

Tina (Cross) Huchting writes:

I am sad to hear about the passing of (Fr.) John Christenson. I knew that he had been sick for years and that he suffered greatly.

I had the opportunity to see him again after graduation and to meet his wife. We were at the Valyermo Celebration many years ago. It was a pleasure for me and he was so gentle and responsive. He was one of my favorite priests at Alemany and was so supportive when my mom died.

I also remember the daily noon Mass in the chapel at Alemany. He actually let me be an altar server. Way ahead of his time as far as allowing women to be present on the altar.

Steve and I plan to go to the service on Saturday. It will be good to see Fr. Paul also.

Thanks for passing this on.

Love, Tina

~~~~~~~

10/2/2006
Rex Olliff writes:

Fr. Nourie read Bob's remembrance of Father Chris during the funeral and he also mentioned John Christenson's work making ILAP a reality. From the various remembrances given on Saturday, John Christenson touched many lives in a profound way. I was glad that his connection to the class of '66 was noted. Although we were not all in Fr. Christenson's class the day Fr. Weber made the announcement, Bob's remembrance about Fr. Christenson's assurance that we would be OK captures exactly who he was. I am glad John Christenson was part of my life.

Thanks, Bob.

Rex Olliff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

9/30/2006

Went to Fr. Chris' final Liturgy today. What can I say? There was a display of photos of Fr. Chris' life. WHAT A LIFE IT WAS. a MOST HANDSOME YOUNG IRISH, SWEDISH, SCANDANAVIAN YOUNG MAN.

I finally discovered why he had such a fantastic sense of liturgy and its proprietary rubrical correctness. He attended St. John's University in Collegeville, Minnesota, the world's strongest Benedictine Abbey specializing in liturgiacal studies and practiace. They publish "Worship" magazine... the last word on the Liturgy! Only second to the famous Abbey of Solesmes south of Paris, where Gregorian Chant had its universal resurrection, together with liturgical "actio" and litugical vesture. God obviously has always had a hand in Chris's formation.

The ILAP program's liturgical soul was Fr. Chris. Remember the baptism of Mr. Scott's daughter Paula in the Alemany Gym. It was performed by the family pastor from St. Francis Xavier in Burbank. Fr. Chris suggested that the baptism take place in the gym to be witnessed and celebrated by the ILAP students and anyone from the religion classes.

Remember that the ILAP students made all the preparations including the fabrication of a simple baptismal font, streamers and banners decorating the gym and refreshments which made Baptism a Liturgical celebration of welcoming and initiation which most of us never witnessed. I myself felt a real renewal of what this sacrament meant for me when as a babe I too received the saving waters of the Lord's death and resurrection.

The participation of Mary's day at Immaculate Heart college ... This was an idea born from the liturgical spirit Fr. Chris brought from his days at St. John's U. in Minnesota. What a fantastic man and priest and father he was.

He was present at the funeral and burial of my own mother in Victorville. My family and nephews still remember that happy, kind priest who helped us celebrate the passing of my mom to the fullness of life with Jesus, and the angels and saints in heaven.

Fr. Chris was my spiritual director and helped me during the months of depression and psychatric care I had to have. I never missed a day of teaching; Fr. Chris was there to help me beat back the storm that the death of my mom swept over me. I can never say thanks enough! I can only cherish the moments of conversation and friendship that he so generously gave.

He was a thinker, far ahead of his time, and well read. He often had a book in his hand; it was either the theology of Hans Kung, Thomas Merton, or someting like the Symbols of Christianity, etc. He always had a book for me to read and discuss. What a mentor!

I will always do him honor by feeding my curious mind with the best of philosophy, theology, art, liturgy that I can find! I could tell by what his children and friends said that his inflluence had no boundaries and that his love of people, life and the church
overflowed.

I truly loved Fr. Chris, or John as his family knew him!!

Frank Diaz