October 13, 2006

I LOVE PARIS IN THE SPRING TIME
It has been so wonderful to read about everyone's life journey since our days at Alemany. Here's my own story.

I went to Mount Saint Mary's and met my husband, Ed, in December of my freshman year. He was a junior at Loyola, and after he graduated he was accepted to Tulane medical school. We were married in June 1969 and moved to New Orleans. I worked at the med school in the Opthalmology department til we moved back here, and worked in related fields until we started our family. We've lived in the same house in Chatsworth since 1975, and I think there should be an award at the reunion for the person who has lived the longest in the same house and I should win.

We have three children, and they all went to Alemany. Elizabeth is 31 and teaches kindergarten in North Hills with LAUSD. We're having a good time planning her June wedding. Tony is 29, married one year, and is a Math professor at Cal State LA. His dissertation was on Number Theory which apparently has no practical use whatsoever but he is still employed. Go figure. Andrew is 27, got a Philosophy degree at UCLA, and so, natch, works as wine distribution rep in Fresno. He also has a culinary degree, so whenever I know he's coming over I just set out weird, unrelated ingredients and we eat like kings.

After the kids started school, I went in a totally different direction and got a four year, Professional Certification in Interior and Environmental Design at UCLA Extension. It was a heavily architecturally based program, which I really liked, although I enjoy both the decorating and designing aspects of my job. I have a solo business, and most of my work is residential, although I have done some commercial as well.

My husband Ed has worked at Kaiser Woodland Hills in the Family Practice department for 30 years and figured that's enough for anybody, so he's retiring on October 23rd. We are quite excited about this new adventure and hope to travel a little more often now. We've been on several trips in the US and Europe, most recently to Paris with all the kids, which was an absolute blast.

Thank you all for sharing your stories - the joyful moments as well as the challenging. I know that our lives only touched for a few short years, but that time was so precious. God bless each of you, and I look forward to seeing you at the reunion.
Adrienne (Poirier) Shaheen

Paris, France (In my dreams)

actually Chatsworth CA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adrienne,

I'm glad you finally got something up on our websites.

In the past six months, some of the WITTIEST emails I've ever seen have come from you. Forget about interior design. YOU SHOULD BE A WRITER.

I've also really enjoyed corresponding with your brother Brent by email.

Good looking family. They must have taken after Ed's side of the family.

JUST KIDDING!

Love,
Danny

P.S. GREAT photo of you and Ed on the AHS-66 picture site. See you at the Reunion.

Anonymous said...

Our daughters were at Alemany around the same time. Cassandra graduated from Alemany in 1992. Twenty one years after me and twenty six years after her dad. Our son (Tony)did not get to attend Alemany as we moved to the central coast and he attended a Catholic High School with total enrollment of under 250!