September 07, 2006

Greg Villalva, RIP

August 20, 2006

Dear Claudia & Alemany Class of 1966,

I am Gregory Allan Villalva’s sister. I am writing to inform you that Greg passed away on June 28, 2003. His passing came two days before his 55th birthday. His death was unexpected and I can’t tell you the toll it took on me and my parents.

When I received the invitation for Greg's 40th reunion it brought back memories of loss and sadness, but I wanted to do something positive to honor his memory and “unfinished” life. Therefore I am enclosing a check for $90, hoping that someone less fortunate can attend the reunion in his place. I know Greg would have wanted me to do this.

The surfboard my brother is holding is one or the many “classic” boards he had refinished for his job at Chanin Surf boards in Encinitas, CA. He took up surfing again in 2001 and seemed to have found the perfect job and lifestyle.

Greg died of an accidental drug overdose in my parents' home in Oceanside, CA. He had battled the drug demons for many years and we all thought he had won that war. Sadly, the impulse must have been so great he could not resist. We are certain his death came as a bigger surprise to him than us and was not planned. The manner in which he left doesn’t make us love him any less. He was a great brother and I miss him every day.

Feel free to share this with his classmates. Please let any of the alumni know that I am eager to talk to anyone about my brother. I miss him so much and any memories I can keep of him are very valuable to me.

I still find it hard to believe he is gone but I know he is in a better place.

Best Regards,
Marylee (M.L.) Villalva First
Anaheim, CA, 92804
den1st@pacbell.net

No comments: