November 06, 2006


NOT JUST A CLASSMATE REUNION, A FAMILY REUNION TOO

(Chris (Belle) Monroe with cousins Christie and Marty)


I'm still floating on the reunion magic carpet cloud. I definitely need to join Barbara Broeski Tennis's reunion addiction support group, I am so hooked on connecting with all of you! The layers that were added by communicating on the Internet made this whole experience all the richer. I loved having some added context to greet each of you by having seen on the website and blog site your current pictures of family, grandkids, homes (so beautiful, Ron!), hobbies, not to mention the touching and hilarious commentaries. As Jude said today, laughter is the best medicine, and our group provides an abundance of joy, wit, and good will for each other!

(Linda, Jacci and I on our way to beautiful downtown Burbank)

I so appreciated the extra pre and post gatherings that were planned (and some also spontaneous), because the reunion itself did go by so fast. It started for me at the airport in Sacramento where Jacci Mahoney Hagen and I had planned to meet, and as we were chatting before the flight, who should be sitting right next to us, Linda Bishop Catlin! The time together at my older sister's home with Christi and Gary, Mary, Jan, and Paula, and at the Odyssey on Friday night around the "campfire" were delightful times to show pictures and have some in-depth time to get caught up with each other. Jan Zemba Wilkes came over on Saturday afternoon with her Mom, and helped me to materialize an Extreme Makeup Makeover that my daughters had coached me with in preparation for the reunion! On Sunday I took my Mom for a visit to Diane Mottola Belmont's and she and her daughters were so sweet to "Dottie Belle."

The Reunion Gala was a great tribute to the thoughtful, creative planning of the team, led by Captain Dan. I so appreciated Danny's gracious ability to spotlight our many accomplishments and just to honor each one of us by the "roll call." Sometimes I just stopped and watched and enjoyed the buzz of reconnection as we were milling around and people matched name tags to faces and memories. Marty's time-and-expertise-driven re-make of the slide show was a generous gift for all of us that reminded me of the amazing times that we grew up in. I loved seeing my cousins, Marty and Christy, and catching up on some family news. It was fun sharing all of this with my date, my daughter, Michelle. Some of you mentioned the resemblance of how much she looks like me in high school days. In a pre-reunion vanity fit, I had a fleeting fantasy of dressing her up in a tiara and formal and sending her in my place, and I was sure people would say, "Wow, look at how well-preserved Chris is!" Leo affirmed my wistfulness by coming up to her and inquiring, "Would you go to the prom with me?!!"

(Diane, Christi and Chris mugging for the camera)

The timeless nature of our friendships with the grammar school groups seemed to have an even deeper meaning when you realize that these are "kids" that we've known for as long as 52 years. Wow! So fun to see the St. Lizzie gang. I also appreciated the opportunity to give big hugs to so many of you who had sent prayers and encouragement for my sister, Maureen, and our family. She continues to grow stronger in little steps as she is going through the chemotherapy.

As I walked out to the parking lot of the Odyssey in bare feet (oh, those heels were killing me!) with Ellie McConnaughy, we were sharing our current passion in life, working with people to help them discover and develop their creativity and spirituality. It made me wish that I had the opportunity to discover and share with more of you on a deeper level what has made your lives meaningful, and what are your current dreams, hopes and visions. We've done some of that on the website, and I hope that dialogue will continue. We definitely need to gather again in 2011!!!

Sending lots of love and blessings to all of you,


Chris (Belle) Monroe

Somerset, CA

No comments: