September 14, 2006


From Janet (Borstner) Shows

September 14, 2006

Hi Everyone!

Since I have so enjoyed reading the brief bios of many '66 classmates, I feel compelled to share a condensed version of my own.

I was married to our classmate, Al Shows, for 16 years during which time he completed Med School and we moved to Fresno to open his private practice in Cardiology.

We have two children: Dominic, 33 and Stephanie, 30. Dom and his wife, Julie, have blessed us with three grandchildren all under age five. I must say that having grandchildren is beyond the accolades we have all heard--it truly is heavenly. Stephanie is getting married in March '07 so the family is expanding again.

After the divorce I went back to school and obtained a BA and Master's Degree in Social Work. I came to really appreciate that it would indeed have been much easier to complete my education -- before having children.

Since completing school I have worked for a Retirement Community, county Mental Health and an Adult Day Health Care Center. I have to say that working with these spunky Seniors really keeps me on my toes with their frank and un-censored outlooks as well as sharp senses of humor.

Upon hearing of this milestone reunion, I began reflecting on the passage of time and life experiences. I hope we can all say that although we've had some trying times along with the celebrations, we've come to know that we had the strength to make it this far & that when the next challenge comes along we can make it through that as well.

My inability to attend the reunion may be just such a challenge for some of you but please know that I wish you all well.

Janet Marie Theresa Borstner Shows

(I got the idea for using my "complete" name from the book "Growing Up Catholic"-- it's really a hoot. Whenever I tell anyone that I am a "survivor" of twelve years of Catholic schools I receive instant respect and empathy!)

No comments: