November 04, 2006

"MORE REUNION REFLECTIONS"

This 40th reunion was by far a wonderfully graced experience for me, not to mention a hell of a lot of fun. How we have all aged so “gracefully.” The mass was very special and I continue to marvel at the fact that from our class there are four priests – one of whom is an august Abbot! And two Religious Sisters. Not bad…

This coming May 25th, Kerry and I celebrate our 33rd anniversary of ordination. The years have been good despite the difficulties that the priesthood has faced in recent years. Despite the “bad press” – God has been very good to me and has opened up wonderful opportunities for me to serve Him and His Church.

Now that I am the “34th successor of Blessed Serra” as pastor of the Jewel of the California Missions, it’s strange to realize that more years of priesthood are behind me than before me. I’m in a wonderful parish that continues to challenge my creativity and indulge many of my interests – history, conservation and preservation, improving my Spanish, my love for liturgy and music. I suspect that I will probably retire from this assignment. San Juan is a great place to retire.

Wait till my mom and sister sees the composite – they will love it. I should go back to the flat top!

Be assured that I will indeed remember all of you at the Table of the Lord during this month.

Fr. Art Holquin

San Juan Capistrano, CA

(Ed Note: The photo composite at the lead of this article is courtesy of the creative mind of "Big John" Stigmon)

No comments: