October 25, 2006


ROBERT J. "BOBBY" GUERRERO and ARIANNA RAMIREZ (AHS '72) - 2006

Hi everyone: It has been great to read about, and see pictures of all of you. I can't believe how fast 40 years can go by.

After graduation I attended (casually) Valley College for two years before getting drafted into the Army. I signed up for an extra year to get a choice of training, and ended up at Personnel School. I served a year at Fort Ord, a year in Cam Rahn Bay, VietNam, and nine months in Oakland. After two years, nine months, and twenty-one days (who's counting?) I was discharged in July 1971.

I took advantage of my GI Bill and attended CSU-Northridge from 1971-74, graduating with a degree in Public Administration, with an emphasis in Public Personnel, and a minor in Chicano Studies.

I started working in School District Human Resources with LAUSD while attending CSUN. I have since worked for three other school districts (Glendale, Victor Valley, and currently in Poway), the last 19 years as a Director. I also worked for Xerox for two years and for a liquor company, Hiram Walker, Inc, for a year. I’m a little fuzzy on the details about that job, but I think I had fun!!

I met the love of my life in 1984, and was lucky enough to marry her in 1987. Eriana (Ramirez, AHS-72) and I were married on October 17, 1987, and I also was blessed to inherit a daughter, Maricela. We have lived in Oceanside since 1989, and have been moving west since we got to Oceanside, and now live three blocks from the beach. Eriana has worked at Mira Costa, the local Community College, for the last 17 years. Our daughter attended Mira Costa, earned her BA from San Francisco State, and her Teaching Credential from CSU-San Marcos. She just started teaching a Kindergarten class in the Temecula School District. Mari recently became engaged and she and her fiancee are planning to wed in May 2008.

Most of my family still lives in and around the Valley; my Mom lives in the same house in San Fernando where I lived when we graduated! Many of my friends also still live in the Valley, many attended San Fernando or Sylmar High School, as did my brothers and cousins.

I enjoyed my years at Alemany, and enjoyed the opportunity to meet kids from all over the Valley, all the way out to Lancaster & Palmdale! I really wish I had been able to participate in more school activities besides B football and JV Wrestling in the 10th grade, but work was a priority for me at the time. I met my best friend, Tom Lopez, on the first day of Freshman year (I think it was Mr. Diaz's Science class), and we have been friends ever since, and Compadres for the last 35 years.

I have been blessed in my life, with a loving wife and daughter, surrounded and supported by family (I have 4 brothers and about 80 first cousins) and good friends. I look forward to seeing some old friends, especially my fellow Santa Rosa School alums. I hope the next forty are just as enjoyable!

Bobby Guerrero
Oceanside, CA

No comments: